Whether you are hiking near your 55 plus community, or you’ve traveled a considerable distance to hike, it’s essential to stay safe. No matter how enjoyable hiking might be, it pays to be prepared and aware of what can happen.
Here are a few important tips for staying safe while hiking:
- Bring at least one friend or family member, or make sure that someone knows where you are and what your anticipated arrival time will be.
- Pack prescription medication that you’re taking, or anything you might need for an ongoing treatment you’re undergoin.
- Whenever possible, consult a park ranger about the best and safest places to start and end your hike.
- Have an emergency plan ready, and keep track of the possible problems and difficulties you might encounter. Is there proper cell phone service in the area? What is the weather outlook?
- Bring a first aid kit, navigational aid, sun protection, appropriate clothing for conditions, proper nutrition and hydration, and a smile. You’re sure to enjoy your hike!
You can find more information on 55 plus communities and outdoor activities including hiking trails by looking at https://myoakwoodlife.com.